Veggie Moroccan Stew
1T olive oil
3/4c ea diced carrots & yukon potatoes
1½c ea diced eggplant & butternut squash
½c ea diced mushrooms & leek
1/4c dried cranberries, raisins or prunes
14oz can chickpeas, rinsed
14oz can diced tomatoes
1C veggie broth
2t ea cumin, coriander, paprika
1 cinnamon stick
pinch crushed red pepper, s&p
1/4C fresh parsley
1/4C sliced almonds
1. Sautée veggies in oil, over med heat, 8-10 mins
2. Add other ingredients (except garnishes), bring to boil
3. Reduce to simmer, cook 20-30 mins
4. Remove cinnamon stick
5. Serve over basmati rice or couscous
6. Top with fresh parsley & almonds
Note: cut veggies small dice, ½”
Stop Focusing on the Actual Goal
For a company that is wild about wildly important goals…say what?!?
You need a goal (or two, but not more than 3!) and it needs to be measurable. The process of identifying and agreeing upon a goal (what can be even better, cleaner, tastier, safer) brings focus…to everyone. And, by the way…”focus” is the single word to which both Warren Buffet and Bill Gates attribute their success — not determination, not smarts, not courage, not creativity — but focus.
BUT, to achieve your goal? Spend your time focusing on your “systems”.
“If you’re a coach, your goal is to win a championship. Your system is what your team does at practice each day…When you focus on the practice instead of the performance, you can enjoy the present moment and improve at the same time. None of this is to say that goals are useless…goals are good for planning your progress, while systems are good for actually making progress.”
So, you have a goal…pulse-check…what are your systems for achieving it and maintaining the desired result? Focus, focus and refocus on that.
Bacon Bourbon Jam
12oz bacon, diced
½c onion, diced
3T brown sugar
2T bourbon (Maker’s Mark best)
2½c chicken stock
1. In medium stock pot, cook bacon until it begins to crisp, 5-7 mins
2. Add onion & salt, cook 5 mins
3. Add bourbon & brown sugar, stir
4. Crank heat high, add 1 c stock, stir until liquid is almost gone, 7 mins
5. Add 1 more c stock, repeat
6. When “jammy” consistency, add last ½ c stock
7. Blend mixture in blender to smooth
8. Return to pan, cook on low 7 mins
9. Remove from heat & stir in butter
Excellent on steaks or other grilled or roasted meats
The One Thing You Can Count On
January 1. New calendars go up. We write 16…scratch through, no, 17. Eventually it becomes natural. We think about the year behind and the year ahead – to ourselves – out loud – maybe both. We make a resolution to change something — or consciously decide not to.
And yet, the one thing we can count on in life…every single one of us…is change. It’s happening whether we like it or not, embrace it or not, believe it or not.
“The secret of change
is to focus all of your energy,
not on fighting the old, but
on building the new.”
– Dan Millman
Here’s to a New Year!